This Page

has been moved to new address

Obedience Exercises

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Boyer Blog: Obedience Exercises

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Obedience Exercises







Children must learn to instantly obey their parents. We tell our kids that we’ll be glad to explain later, but they must obey first and then ask why.

To help instill this in our kids, Rick made up a fun game. We called it obedience exercises. (I know the neighbors must have thought we were crazy for this one.) We’d take the kids out in the yard and have them line up at one end of the yard. Rick would holler out commands such as, “Sit!” “Run!” “Stop!” “Lie down!” “Walk backwards!” “Run!” “Walk like a crab!”, etc., and the kids would follow the command as quickly as possible. It was hilarious to watch, especially as the toddlers tried to join in also, usually one or two commands behind the rest. Everyone laughed and had a good time, and as a consequence, got into the habit of obeying first-time commands. It was enjoyed by everyone and often the kids would beg to do obedience exercises when company would come over and we had “double the kids.”

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, Marilyn, for writing about how you train your children. I have gotten so much encouragement and help from the little article you posted on your web site about disciplining/training your children. I hope you remember the one I am referring to. I appreciate your willingness to write and share. My husband and I have tried your obedience exercise over the last few years and my kids enjoy it. I have even used it when I was teaching a childrens class.

Kari Casteel of Arizona

May 21, 2008 at 3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We played this game, too! Our kids never had an issue obeying Daddy. That big guy with the big voice who wasn't around all the time was hard to ignore! But Mom, with her thousand words a day kind of drowned into the background noise of daily life. When that would happen, we'd play this game. We call it "Mama Says," because after all, who is Simon anyway? --Peggy

May 21, 2008 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Blessed3x said...

We have used this exercise in the past with our three children. We called it the "Obedience Game" The first time we tried it I told our children to go to their rooms and bring back a pair of socks. I then told them to put the socks on their left hand. I was sure they would question me or at least look at me like I was crazy but they willingly, promptly, and cheerfully obeyed. I repeated this a couple of times and they added (with help and lots of laughs) more socks to their hands and ears. That night we had fun learning and growing together. I recently felt the need to repeat this exercise during a visit with Grandma. Grandma was surprised to see how easily their attitudes were changed and that the lesson wasn't lost the next day. The "Obedience Game" is a fun and entertaining way to train children to willingly, promptly, and cheerfully obey their parents.

Amy Ball of Phoenix, AZ

May 21, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home