This Page

has been moved to new address

Keep Praying for the Klicka Family

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Boyer Blog: Keep Praying for the Klicka Family

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Keep Praying for the Klicka Family

Most of you know about HSLDA's Chris Klicka, who died in October of last year after a 15-year battle with Multiple Sclerosis. Chris was a valiant fighter in the war for family freedoms, a popular author of home schooling books and a prominent speaker at home school conferences all across America. He was also my best friend, and I had the privilege of spending several of his last days with him and his family. I was one of three friends who called him each week to encourage and pray with him. The following is an email message I sent to him several years ago. I share it with you in hopes that it will remind you to pray for his wife, Tracy and their seven children.
Rick

Hey Chris,
Just wanted to let you know I was praying for you at 4:30 AM Wednesday morning....
I awoke with a splitting spinal headache and desperate symptoms of caffeine withdrawal. Man, I felt bad. I wanted to wake up Marilyn and tell her to feel sorry for me. The experience reminded me of something I learned thru Josh’s suffering and have been often reminded of by your situation: Suffering can be very lonely.
I occasionally think of Josh and how he spent so many nights in UVA hospital, all alone except for the beeping of monitors and the whirring of pumps. I fight back tears sometimes as I imagine him, seventeen years old and staring at the ceiling, wondering whether he is going to live or die. Praise God, he suffered for seven months but he has been in the presence of the King for almost seven years and he has been paid back many times over.
But my buddy Chris is still fighting. I’ll bet there are some lonely nights for you when you wish you could do something as simple as roll over in bed to ease cramped muscles and restore circulation. Just as I wished I could quickly get rid of a pounding headache. But you don’t have the confidence, as I do, that the problem will be resolved in a few hours with a hot bath and some aspirin.
So, for what it’s worth, I wanted you to know that God used a short period of pain to remind me, as He often does, to pray for a friend who has it much rougher. I wonder how many hundreds and thousands of others He has awakened in the wee hours to pray for His mighty man of valor—maybe at an hour of particular struggle? It’s not hard to imagine dozens of strong angels streaking down from heaven in answer to sympathetic prayers while thousands of others lean over the ramparts following their progress and cheering themselves hoarse for them and for you, the hero in the arena.
If only you could see the brilliant warriors swinging their flaming swords all around you!
So fight on. Thousands of earnest and Godly people are praying for you. God is constantly watching as your heavenly treasure trove swells and spills over. It has not been granted to you to know how or when the battle will be concluded but all you need to know is that you are in the very center of your Father’s will. He has loved you with an everlasting love and nothing in the universe will stay His hand of blessing in your life. How good is God, who gave to this shabby world such a light as that which shines from the testimony of the Kickas.
I can almost hear the angels cheering.
Rick


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ZimboUSA Girl said...

Thank you for sharing that letter. THere are so many nights I wonder what my son who was 5 when he went to heaven from brain cancer was thinking when he saw us praying and praying for him. He was saved, he had accepted the Lord adn now people are still giving their hearts to the Lord when they hear about his life and death. Brendon has been gone only 14 months but we miss him so much! People say it will get better and they are probably right but right now it still hurts. Praying for the Klicka family through their hard times ahead
Julie K
www.caringbridge.org/visit/brendonknight

February 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,

As parents who have lost a son to cancer, our hearts certainly go out to you. Surely there are few things in life that can hurt you so deeply. I'm happy to see that you have other children to comfort you in your sorrow, though nothing can ever replace the precious boy you lost. I hope you are surrounded by extended family, church brethren and dear friends to support you.

If your experience is similar to ours, you will never get over losing Brendon but you will get adjusted to it. Sorrow seems to come in waves; you feel better for a while and then you get swept over by another round of grieving. But the tide is going out; the waves don't break quite so violently and they come less frequently.

How good is our God, who allows suffering here but has banished it forever from heaven. When you get there, Brendon will be waiting and you will have eternity to enjoy him and forget the pain of today. God bless and keep you as you give yourself to ministering to the precious ones you have been blessed with. May He use your family to do great works for Him.

All blessings,

Rick for the Boyer family

February 11, 2010 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Teena said...

What an awesome letter. Rick, I am so thankful for you. For Chris Klicka and so many that were the forerunners for all of us. Words can never repay.

I think of Josh often too....

blessings,
Teena Price

February 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM  
Anonymous Vicki said...

Thank you for sharing so transparently (she types, with tears in her eyes...).

March 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home