This Page

has been moved to new address

A Little Less = A Little More

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Boyer Blog: A Little Less = A Little More

Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Little Less = A Little More

I've noticed lately than I can make due with a lot less of many everyday things, which in turn yields more savings for my grocery allowance. For instance: do I really need 2 paper towels, or will one work? Do I really have to use a sandwich bag for that snack, or can I put it in a Rubbermaid food container? I've even noticed I use unmerited amounts of spray cleaners for some jobs. It may not seem like a big deal, but I've practiced using only what I need for such tasks, and have been surprised at how much longer these products last! After all, that's the essence of penny pinching!

Also to help stretch the grocery money, here is a healthy, yummy recipe I've used many times for my breakfast burritos, chicken fajitas, chicken and black bean quesadillas, etc. I think they taste so much better than storebought tortillas! They are more time-consuming than opening a package, but SOOO much better, healthier and cheaper! Once you get into the swing of it, too, it goes faster. Consider making several batches and freezing the extra to save time for later. (Time is money too!)

Whole Wheat Tortillas
1 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour*
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 c. warm water (110 degrees)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. salt
Cornstarch, for dusting tortillas

Stir together the first 6 ingredients. On a floured board, knead until smooth. Divide dough into 12 equal balls. Dust lightly with cornstarch. Roll into a circle as thin as possible on a lightly floured board. Drop onto a very hot, ungreased griddle or nonstick, ungreased skillet.

Cook until brown spots appear on pan side. Turn and cook on second side. Yield: 12 large tortillas.

*I have used all whole wheat flour and they come out fine... and healthier still! Regardless, these tortillas are lower in saturated fat, with no cholesterol, and higher in fiber than traditional tortillas prepared with lard and white flour.

Kate Boyer Brown

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Momma Bird said...

Oh, I could just HUG you right now! We love tortillas & use them at least 3 times per week, but they're expensive, plus I'm trying to gradually move our family away from processed food. (Easier on our habits and easier on the wallet that way.)

Thanks for sharing this recipe...can't wait to try it! :)

September 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home